Many of the vaping opponents often say that there is no real evidence to support the use of vaping in order to quit smoking, and they are at least partially justified in that argument. For while there has been a astounding volume of anecdotal evidence to support the use of vaping as a quit smoking method, there have not actually been any deliberate scientific studies on the subject. One of the most recent study to actually address the matter was published in Lancet Respiratory Medicine and claimed that its own study of the issue made the nonsensical claim that the adults who smoke & use electronic cigarettes actually experience a 28% reduction in the possibility that they will end their smoking habit.
That study has been extensively criticized, however, and for a number of reasons. Even though the researchers claimed that they examined 20 other studies that focused on connections between vaping and smoking cessation, and also performed meta-analysis on them, one of the co-authors of the reviewed studies’ has accused the Lancet research of distorting her findings. The Deputy Director – Ann McNeill from The UK Centre for Tobacco & Alcohol Studies referred to the Lancet review as “not scientific” and also noted that the meta-analysis review relied on deceitful or inaccurate representations of the information comprised in her study of the topic.
She even went on to suggest that the Lancet study may have the effect of causing a lot of smokers to die unnecessarily just because they are being told that vaping cannot help them stop their smoking habit.
Peter Hajek from Queen Mary University of London was just as clear in his criticism. In an online post, he labeled the Lancet study “grossly misleading” and said that,
“The studies that are presented as showing that vaping does not help people quit only recruited people who were currently smoking and asked them if they used e-cigarettes in the past. This means that people who used e-cigarettes and stopped smoking were excluded. The same approach would show that proven stop-smoking medications do not help or even undermine quitting.”
So basically, the study failed to include anyone who had ever used electronic cigarettes and stopped smoking, while focusing on current smokers who have have tried e-cigarettes at some point in the past. Obviously, that sampling was created to produce precisely the results it did. The reality is indisputable: millions of ex-smokers have switched to vaping & no longer use real cigarettes for their nicotine needs.
Different studies have shown that Lancet’s review simple isn’t honest. In an ongoing survey done in collaboration with vape show owners, another study published that high-quality vaping products & also competent advice of the type provided by vaping professionals can impact quiting efforts. Published on the National Institute of Health’s website, this study noted that cessation rates were consistently high – more than 40% success rate over time. As the study confirmed, that cessation success rate is much more better than the results achieved from the use of government-approved pharmaceutical quiting methods. The research also found that, even those smokers who failed to completely quit, still there was more than 25% decrease in tobacco usage.
Just as impressive is the study’s acknowledgment of the positive benefits vaping provides in many countries: “As a matter of fact, significant public health benefits (an increase in smoking cessation rates and a continued decline in smoking prevalence) are reported in countries with high prevalence of vaping.”
As a matter of fact, the UK has been a leader in the effort to use vaping to encourage smoking cessation and improved public health. In April 2016, that nation’s Royal College of Physicians published a report in which it recommended that the country’s smoker try to switch over to vaping products to take care of their health. That report stated that electronic cigarettes do in fact seem to be efficient smoking cessation devices, while confirming that vaping is likely to be 95% safer than using normal cigarettes.
Can Smokers Use Vaping to Quit?
Smokers that have used vaping to quit actually report that it was a lot easier than most people will think as long as you pick the best e-cig to start with. While some people might continue to utilize combustible cigarettes for a while after they begin to vape, many will simply never pick up a tobacco product again. Many of those ex-smokers ultimately leave vaping and nicotine behind as well. The question is, though, what is the most effective way to accomplish those objectives?
From the experiences of many ex-smokers, the best thing is to make sure that you try your vaping experience the right way. If it happends that you’re a smoker curious in trying the vaping lifestyle, it’s likely that you have cessation in mind already – and the wish to quit means that you already have half the battle won! The next steps can help you progress toward stopping your cigarette habit altogether, and then – if you so really want – even stop vaping at some point.
- Choose your first vaping product carefully. Like most people, you will probably be drawn to expendable e-cigarettes at first. There is nothing wrong with that, but you will find that you prefer a fuller, more flavorful experience to really help you quit smoking normal cigarettes. For that, you’ll want a quality tank or similar device that can give thicker plumes of vapor and increased aroma. You don’t have to jump straight into a advanced vapor kit, just start with a cigalike or a vape pen to accommodate with vaping without breaking the bank!
- You want to choose the highest level of nicotine that you can find. That might be counter intuitive, but it is an important part of the process. You want to make sure that you are meeting your nicotine needs immediately, to lessen the temptation you might elseways feel to return to those burner cigarettes.
- Keep the same nicotine levels until you are sure that you are devoted to forsaking cigarettes forever. When you will know that tobacco’s hold on you has been destroyed, you should consider using e-liquid with a smaller level of nicotine. Think of the drop in nicotine as being identical to changing to a light cigarette brand or moving from non-filtered to filtered cigarettes.
- When that lower level of nicotine feels comfortable, you may consider leaving your e-cig at home or in your desk at work. Try going without it for 1-2 hour at a time, just to get an ideea how it feels to be both a non-smoker and non-vaper. You will find yourself surprised at how easy it is.
- If you will reach the point where you really want to just cease your nicotine habit altogether, try choosing a zero nicotine e-liquid. Those zero strength juices will still provide you with all of the delightful flavor you love, without the nicotine.
- After a while with the zero nicotine liquids, you might find that you can just neglect your vaping device altogether, without any real cravings. Depending on your favored juice flavors, you will find that you need to replace a similarly flavored candy or some other food item from time to time.
The Number 1 Ingredient to Success
There is only one thing that you must remember above all others while you use your vaping device to quit smoking: don’t try to rush the process. A lot of people who fail in their efforts to cease smoking do so because a lack of patience. They try to hurry their nicotine reduction levels, or make other crucial mistakes that cause them to get angry and pick up a pack of cigarettes again – leaving them at the same place they started.
Addiction takes a lot of time to overcome, so you just have to be patient with yourself. If you find that you relapse in your efforts and might end up smoking several days or even weeks after you thought you were done with them, please don’t use that as an excuse to admit that you failed. Instead, use that return to cigarettes as a motivational tool to help you to redouble your efforts at quitting next time.
Throughout it all, please remember that you are not alone in this. Millions of other people just like you, have successfully used vaping to cease their smoking habit. A lot of them have enjoyed a better health and also a return to a more active lifestyle because of that success. You too might become eventually smoke-free forever.